DNA Profiling for pets
We are all familiar with the uses of DNA testing of humans for identification of individuals and genetic profiling for certain diseases and traits. This technology is now available for our pets. No two individuals, other than identical twins or clones, share the same genetic make-up. Using this technology it is possible to accurately identify individuals which is useful in the following situations:-
• Accurate future identification of a pet once its DNA profile has been recorded.
• Verification of a pet’s pedigree.
• Verification of the sire (father) in cases where several males may have inseminated the female or where the identity of the sire is in doubt.
• Verification of the dam (mother) in cases of dispute.
• Identification of the breeds that have contributed to the genetic make-up of your mixed-breed pet.